Getting VCDS-lite to work on A4/1J Golf

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

little_geoff
B7
Passat model: B5.5

Getting VCDS-lite to work on A4/1J Golf

Post by little_geoff »

HI Guys, my VCDS-lite works fine on my B5 Passat, but when i tried it out on my neighbors Golf, it read the ABS module ok, but came up with "Can't Sync Baud Rate" when i tried to look at the Engine module.
My neighbor is in his 70's and is pretty confused when it comes to technology, but mechanically he knows his stuff! He's only had the car a few weeks, and although mechanically all is going well, he did mention that the EPC warning light flashed up on the dash one day. (Then it went away again)- I told him that it would do that in cold weather, but i'm pretty sure that it's a sensor that will fail at some point. (and this should have recorded a fault in itself, wouldn't it?) He's already needed to get a spare key, since the car locked itself with the keys in the ignition, but again i can't get my computer to talk to the Central locking, it just says 'No communication with module'?
Does anyone know how i can solve this issue and get VCDS to talk to the all the modules? All i know about the car is that it's a X-reg 1.6 Petrol. -I can't tell you what engine code is at the mo, but i got the 1J from the VIN on the windscreen.
I am using a lead i bought from GSF on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280985454641? ... 1439.l2649
It's not an urgent issue, but it's one i'd like to fix it, as if i can show him what the issues are, and which sensors need changing he is able to do it himself, but like i say he just doesn't really grasp the whole ECU issue...
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
2004 B5.5 1.9TDi 130 AWX