81 GLi Golf Fuel Pump Not Priming

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

VolksKid83
B2
Passat model: B3 GL, B5.5 2.0

81 GLi Golf Fuel Pump Not Priming

Post by VolksKid83 »

So my 81 GLi project lives next to the house under a cover, i went to start it yesterday evening to move it but the fuel pumps not working.

It doesn't prime or anything, i have checked the four pin silver relay which is clicking, i have not yet checked this with a test lead, but i would assume this will be fine. I imagine the pump has got lazy? It has fuel, do these only use an in tank fuel pump?
It usually starts fine, just doesn't run very well! I havn't started it for a couple of months due to dark evenings/bad weather/lack of weekends. But it spent the last four years sat untouched in a damp garage, when i attached a fresh battery it started fine.

My plan this evening is to check for power at the tank connections, check the operation of the relay, give the pump a tap, anything else? I was making progress with the thing before christmas!
03 B5.5 Passat 2.0 Wagon - Fathers
91 B3 Passat GL TDi Wagon -The Daily
91 Polo GT Coupe - Daily No.2
83 Polo Formel E Bready - The Waiting Project
81 Golf Cabby GLi - On the road project!
76 Triumph Stag - Home Weekend Car

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login