Possible head or gasket failure

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

J1MMCD
B2
Passat model: B6

Possible head or gasket failure

Post by J1MMCD »

Hi again guys.
Just putting this out there in case anyone has experienced this or able to help with a possible cure.
It’s not the Passat, this is on my taxi (2.4 diesel black hack)

It looks like I have a possible failed or failing head gasket/head issue as the coolant is being lost.
No mixture of oil and water anywhere so looking like exhaust gas may be reaching the coolant, that’s the next check stage after the weekend is to get a tester kit and test ( any recommendations to kits also welcome).

Been looking up some of the pour in remedies and it’s the usual minefield with one called steel seal coming up pretty regular, but some of the comments/reviews claim it’s knacked the thermostat or gummed up the water jacket.

Has anyone any experience of this issue? And has anyone any recommendations for a remedy to attempt?

Because it’s a taxi it’s not a case of pulling the head and replacing the gasket, it’s cheaper to change the engine (!?), a remedy I’m hoping to avoid 😞

As always, all replies gratefully received.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login