Greasy haze on window interiors

How to get that better-than-new shine - show us your efforts and discuss techniques. Sponsored by BCP Car Detailing BCP Car Detailing

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Greasy haze on window interiors

Post by ct.p »

Gents,

I'm sure we are all aware of it, this is the greasy hazy residue that forms on the inside of the windows.

I know how to deal with it and that is to clean the windows but what is the cause?

I've done a bit of searching and it seems the consensus is that it is the vinyl and foam 'gassing'. I'm not so sure as I've got two ancient cars, 15 and 12 years old respectively (2001 Golf & 2004 Passat) and I would have thought the interior materials would by now have 'gassed' off all and anything they had to give!

This leads me on to thinking that it may actually be the stuff I use to clean the interior with.

The Passat in particular seems to suffer most, it is a Highline with leather seats. From time to time I use a proprietry car leather cleaner on them. I know that modern leather seats are sealed and there is no benefit in using any kind of leather 'feed' treatment. That said, the stuff I do use is, well.... greasy!

I also use vinyl / rubber cleaner, have used Aerospac 303 but am using the Autoglym stuff at present. Again I think this could be a cause.

I don't really know where this thread is going to go, it is more of an observation than anything but if you also suffer from the greasy windscreen syndrome, please post up your experiences.

I'd also be interested in what you use to keep things clean. Thinking about it, for a long time I did only use microfibre cloths (a damp one and one for drying) on the interior (two sets, one for the glass, the other for the dash / doorcards etc and obviously another set altogether for the leather) and that made little difference although I can't really remember.

Is there anything out there that cleans without potentially fogging the glass, if any cleaners do that at all?

Just to add, this is not just a problem peculiar to VW's...
Bog standard B5.5 Highline Estate TDI

This topic has 20 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login