New pads and discs at 24k and 2.5 years

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Percy247
B1
Passat model: B8

New pads and discs at 24k and 2.5 years

Post by Percy247 »

My 2017 TDI 150 GT is currently sat in local VW garage and I have just received the vehicle health check and they recommend to change all pads and discs at cost of £628. On the video both rear discs and insides of the fronts have concentric rings of rust on the braking surface.

Brakes seem fine to me and I am fairly sure it would pass an MOT. The issue is, these likely Mintex or pagid discs seem to be of very poor quality and corrode very quickly. I am not a heavy braker and there is loads of meat left on the pads. It would seem that I must brake like a complete tw@t every time I come to a junction to stop the discs corroding.

Short term it will be some heavy braking then I will do the discs and pads myself as VW will only fit cheap poo again rather than bosch or Brembo.

What tools to I need change discs and pads?

I have a non pro OBDeleven device. Do any caliper or Carrier Bolts need to be replaced? Are they M14 Triple squares and 7mm allen respectively? Do I need any other tools other than to remove those bolts?

This topic has 16 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login