access to fuse box to fit a dash cam

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

KenMackay66
Passat model: b8

access to fuse box to fit a dash cam

Post by KenMackay66 »

hello all.new to forum and to posting,but had to share this.
recently i was gifted a nextbase 322gw dash cam kit with rear camera.we have a 18 plate B8 and not wanting to pay for an install i decided to fit it myself.did my research and nervously began with the rear cam as i thought this would prove the most challenging part.went up through rubber channel on hatch must easier than expected.under hard plastic trim on rear headcloth and then round to drivers side along window to passenger door and under headcloth to pillar.i had read that you have to be aware of air bags and i found that after tucking the cable round the pillar and then getting it under the the headcloth above drivers seat i was then able to poke the cable well out of the way of the airbag by pushing it from under the passenger door headcloth and then driver door headcloth.then out at the a piilar,along screen to final position.
then the camera itself.relatively easy as per youtube/forum tutorials.

all good,feeling pleased with myself,this is a doddle etc.

until you you come to the fuse box.

in the owners manual it shows that you must first release the glove box swing arm by pushing it down then away from box before pushing the two rubber points on dash behind box.i think not . i pushed and wiggled and on closer inspection noticed there was no pocket for the swing arm to be pushed into!i must hve restled with it for over an hour before deciding that i was going to break it if i didnt seek help.

we live less than a mile from the dealership where we bought the car so popped round to see them.
its arnold clark vw north crow road in glasgow.i went into the service department and the conversation went something like this:

me:hello,i was wondering if a tech was available to show me how to access my fusebox.
service receptionist:we cannae do that.
me:oh,i'm struggling to open it.
service receptionist:we're no' allowed to show you wher your fusebox is.
me:i know where it is,i just can't open it.
service receptionist:what is it your trying to do?
me:install a dash cam
service receptionist:you'll have to come in and get our guy to do it.
me:no,i want to do it myself.what happens if you need to change a fuse?
service receptionist:you have to bring it in.we cannae show you in case something happens.
me:but,what happens if the fuse goes on something drive critical,eg the handbrake.
service receptionist:you'd have to bring it in.
me:but you wouldn't be able to dive the car safely.
wee senga:you'd have to get it towed and the guys would push it in to workshop.

i bid her farewell,and in bewilderment made my way home.

i know very little about cars,but this seems rediculous to me.whether its arnold clark policy or vw making things difficult,i don't know.
you should be able to access you're fusebox,surely.

anyway,i finally discovered how to do it ,and it's frustratingly simple:

ignore handbook instructions

open glovebox
place hands inside box and on the top you will feel two holes about a hands length back.7cm or so from the left and close to
the end behind box thermostat.push up the door with your knees slightly and you will feel the ends of the supports.
push these up and lower the door.
hey presto!!

very simple,very annoying that it's not correctly explained.