What kind of economy could I expect from a b5.5 1.8T Tip est

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

meerkatsmimm
Passat model: B6 TDi DSG R EST

What kind of economy could I expect from a b5.5 1.8T Tip est

Post by meerkatsmimm »

Hi everyone,

First post so be gentle and my apologies if this is in the wrong section :wink:

We have been looking at a nice B5.5 1.8T Estate Tiptronic Estate but concerned with economy day to day and on longer journeys when loaded up.

My hubby is running a b6 2.0tdi DSG R estate and gets 52 mpg as an average on a longer run, 42-45mpg around town.

The B5.5 1.8T Tiptronic would be a replacement for this as the R is costing fortunes every month on lease. But it needs to make sense to run the petrol auto.

With petrol being at least 8p per litre cheaper in our neck of the woods, do you think the mpg is going to make a huge difference in the real world over our current TDI DSG when we do the sums?

Obviously if the 1.8T is only going to return 20-25 mpg then it won't make any sense. We also don't want an older diesel as we need it to be an auto and auto TDI estates in B5.5 vintage seem to be either knackered with major miles (and expensive for what they are) or low milers and very expensive.

Once a week we will be doing 4-500 miles fully loaded up the rest of the time, around town, my daughter to school etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dawn x

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login