Time for a change?

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Ryan s
B6
Passat model: B5.5 V6 TDI

Time for a change?

Post by Ryan s »

So as much as I love my Passat (B5.5 V6 TDI estate), I'm thinking that it might be time for a change...but not really because of my car, more the wife's. At the end of last year our trusty Bora TDI 150 suffered the dreaded chocolate cam failure. I thought it would be a good time to replace it with a 4wd car, as that could be useful for 1) the rural roads in winter, and 2) my work which often requires driving up tracks/quarries/construction sites. The Passat would remain my daily hack as she doesn't really like driving it because it's low (even though it rides better than her old bora did!!!)

Many a long night was spent trying to narrow the search of soft roaders.... What she really wants is a Tiguan (but they are considerably out of our budget). She fancied a Freelander (don't - I know!), so the correct engine, spec, mileage was researched, numerous forums were joined and I knew exactly what I was after, along with many of the pitfalls to check or at least be wary of. Then for various reasons it all fell by the wayside and the easiest thing seemed to replace like for like (but in this case a 130 Bora).

A decision we (mainly me) regret. It's just not as good as the old Bora...

So, what to do...

We need two cars.

The wife requires a car with heated seats and reversing sensors.

One of them should be 4wd.

One of them should be the same size (at least) as a B5 Passat estate.

One should be fairly economical to run (my Passat gets about 42MPG which is acceptable).

The budget will be dictated largely by the current value of the cars we own.
I'd like to stick to VAG cars tbh.

I'm thinking if we replace the Bora TDI with a Bora V6 4-motion that would be problem solved - but good ones are rare as flip. Mk4 Golf 4-motions all seem ragged or overpriced. There are a few Passats which fit the bill if we were to sell the bora - V6 petrols and some TDI 130's seem well equipped, and if we landed an estate, then mine could go in place of a more economical daily....

Another solution would be to get a cheaper (read petrol) A6 Quattro avant in place of the Passat, and then a smaller well spec'd golf/leon/bora.

I used to like car shopping, but at the moment it's frustrating me!

Any advice welcome
2014 Octavia Elegance Combi 2.0 TDI
2008 Octavia L&K Combi 2.0 TDI

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login