A little advice on wheel refurbing please...

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

wingz123
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5 110 TDi

A little advice on wheel refurbing please...

Post by wingz123 »

A long time ago in a galaxy not far from here....

I purchased some 18" AMG wheels for my car. They have since been gathering dust in the corner of my unit doing nothing so its about time I crack on and actually do something with them....isn't it?

JK kindly went out of his way to go and pick them up for me and then wrap them up ready for them to be couriered back up here to Trowbridge, Wiltshire as I was just struggling to find the time to get down there to collect - He's a top geezer and I was and very much still am appreciative of what he did.

Anyway!....On to the wheels!

I was originally after a set of 18" AMG Monoblocks but just couldn't find some in the right price range....everyone wanting upwards of £500!?? So I ended up buy the AMG split rims you see in the photo below. The car they are to bolt onto is a W210 Mercedes E220 CDi Saloon in Mercedes colour - Violen 789 (purpley/mauve).

So in terms of colour choice - What do you think? I haven't really been a fan of ALL BLACK wheels before but I think gloss black with a chrome/polished lip could work? Anthracite?

I also have a few questions if you could help steer me in the right direction please - Where do I start? I've given the wheels a good clean up (fronts and back) and the paint is already flaking and peeling off. The fronts of the wheels are blistering too as you can see in the picture (this being the worst one)

Do I start wet and drying them? Which grain do I start with? How many different graines do I need? How many coats of paint? lacquer? primer? What about shotblasting? Powerdercoating?? - The wheels WILL be on the car throughout the winter so would need some tough protection....

All thoughts/suggestions and ideas would be most grateful,

Thank you and good bye,

J

UPDATE!! -I now have access to over 90 vans direct from one of the leading leasing companies - Just ask! - Relays,Sprinters,Caddy's,Transits etc.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login