Ed's Drift Trike Build

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

EddyVW
B4
Passat model: B6 Wagon

Ed's Drift Trike Build

Post by EddyVW »

Ever since Colin Furze released his drift trike videos on youtube, ive been toying with the idea of making one myself. This thread isn't a guide as such, but if you like what you see and want to give it a go then dont be afraid to ask :).

My mate owns a classic car restoration shop so we have been using his tools/welder to create it.

I brought all the parts before starting the project and its about 60% finished so far.

Here's what it owes me:

£65 - brand new 2stroke 80cc engine with all auxiliaries
£20 - 8m of 1" thin steel box frame
£30 - Go kart wheels and tyres
£35 - 35mm go kart axle with bearings/bearing housing
FREE - bmx
FREE - Racing go kart seat

Building the rolling frame:

Basic drawing of initial idea:

Chopped BMX frame:

Used the threaded mounting holes on the axle bearing housing to create a basic frame to support the axle. Kept it as a 'C' so we can take off the axle if needed easily.

Extended the rear frame to accompany a seat/engine.

Welded 2 pieces of the box section together to increase strength, as this is the main beam between front to back frames. Then tacked it all up.

Welded up the hole where the bmx pedal shaft ran. Used those plates to triangulate the stresses across the width of the rear axle rather than just down the centre. Also added some addition supports on the rear frame to increase rigidity.

Framework 90% done now with added box section to decrease frontal vertical flex on the main joint. Also added a mount for the seat + seat fitted.

And that's where we stand so far. Will be updating this post when we have more time. Next is engine mounting and fitting :D

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login