Manual gearbox oil change

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

oyster
B2
Passat model: b5.5 SALOON 2.0

Manual gearbox oil change

Post by oyster »

I invested in the oil from Opie during the Christmas break, but have only just got around to getting this sorted. Delayed by wet weather etc. VW suggest this is a for life oil, does not need changing, so not done during their services. For life, yeah right. The gear change has always felt a bit notchy and sticky.
I tried doing this a couple of weeks ago to find out there is a special VAG filler and drain bung for the gearbox. VW wont sell you the tool! So I had to order it of the net, £8.00 delivered. Earlier, pre 2002 ?, gearboxes need a hexagon, Allen key tool.
Nearside wheel off; splined tool to underside of gearbox to remove the old mineral oil. I thought it would be a cupful of dark sludge, but I got a good two litres of pale brown gear oil.
Trick is to get the new oil in! So I found a hot feed for the washing machine lying about, cut the end off and fed it down into the filler hole on the side of the gearbox. Then cut the pipe level with the top of the engine and stuck a funnel in and started filling the clear new fully synthetic Fuchs Titan Sintopoid SAE 75W-90. Yes I did remember to put the drain bung in first. Two and a half liters later I put the level bung back and tried it around the block.
It now feels like there is oil in th egearbox. The gear changes are silky smooth. I am sure this will give me another five miles to the tankfull.
Last edited by oyster on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 B5.5 2.0 saloon blue
I want all the interior wood sections. A full stainless exhaust. A rear anti roll bar.

This topic has 50 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login