throttle body clean

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bobman
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.4tsi Touran

throttle body clean

Post by bobman »

for some timemy fuel consumption has been poo,

on thursday i did a trip on the m5 for 4 junctions, i did this journey at a constant 65mph and the journey is 8 miles, my fuel consumption was a staggering 18.5mpg

i dont know if some of you saw an old topic about fuel consumption on a 1.8 petrol about 3 years ago, but back then mine was, at 60mph it was 39.8 mpg and at 70mph it was 36.5 mgp

so its a slightly drastic drop for around 37mpg to 18.5mpg

anyway, sunday i decided to do somethin about it, so i set about findin out wot the problem was, (i know from 2 previous vagcom scans on my car the throttle body has come up on both but didnt know exactly wot the problem was coz it was an intermitent problem), so that where i based the problem, the throttle body

i used this guide to guide me on how to take it all to bits

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/mainten ... ottlebody/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and also used my trusty haynes manual lol

here are a few pics i took

there are 2 pipes into the back of the throttle body air inlet pipe, and when i disconected these 2 pipes i found a problem with both of em, the thinner pipe i found had a big hole in it

and the thicker pipe i think is an engine breather pipe, this had disconected from the engine (plastic tube had snapped)

i solved the thicker pipe by insertin a smaller pipe and insertin it back into the breather, the thinner pipe i had to purchase some more 8mm pipe and make new

onto the throttle body, i undid the 5mm allen bolts and removed the throttle body and found a lot of black carbon built up inside around the butterfly flap, so with the aid of a tin of brake cleaner i began to get rid of the build up and all the stains

wot the throttl body looked like

and after i had cleaned it

i replaced the gasket with a new 1 and put it all back together, took it for a spin, first put 20quids worth of petrol in and set off up the motorway, ended up doin 100 miles there and back lol

guess wot....... 34mpg at 65mph

sorted with a big grin on my face

jobs a good un
RIP Muff Diver

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login