Got ready to take car for MOT and it would not start!

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

jasikasisback
B5
Passat model: B4 CL Automatic

Got ready to take car for MOT and it would not start!

Post by jasikasisback »

Once again my car has decided not to start. This time I was just about an hour from my MOT appointment.
So last night I went and checked the car.Starts fine, lights fine, brakes are good, ABS light is working fine, airbag light is working fine, speedometer, wipers, doors,all bulbs, tyres etc. No rust on any important parts and all in all everything is ready. Ran the car for 30 minutes and then back into the garage for the big day today.

So today I go and get in the car and starts up fine. Move car out of garage and then shut it off while I unload some stuff from the back to make it look more tidy.

Close garage door and get in. Turn the key and nothing...no cranking of the starter, no solenoid going.Lights come one on dash, ABS light goes out, airbag light goes out.

Quickly think that the battery is the culprit. I call my friend who is a mechanic and he offers to come and give it a jump start. No improvement.

He checks if the the ignition is sending a signal and the relay shows a change in voltage. He checks the ground and that is fine. Next on the list is the feed to the solenoid...this is not good.

So now the problem is to find where is the break in the circuit from the relay to the solenoid.

Anyone got a schematic diagram of the pathway? Anyone have this problem and solved it easy?
I have already changed the crank sensor and had the timing set....as the car would not start before on me...

I have spent more on this car per mile of use than any other that I have owned in the past...but I still want it to work and then get at least one year's worth of use out of it or more if possible...:)

Any help would greatly be appreciated as it is currently hibernating...:)

This topic has 22 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login