1992 Diesel Passat starting circuit problem

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Lone Survivor
Passat model: B3

1992 Diesel Passat starting circuit problem

Post by Lone Survivor »

Hi everybody. I hope y'all can help me chase down this problem. The car had no problems starting before I parked it for a few months to do some front suspension work, full struts, new discs, etc. It's a 1.6 Tdi with a manual gearbox, by the way. Anyway, I started to get a condition where after turning the key I would get a delay of a few seconds and then the starter would kick in a spin the engine over fine. After it did this a few times I thought< "Aha, the starter is sticking!", as it cleared, or so I thought, after giving it a good clout. Replacement of starter did not improve the situation. Thinks I, better start checking for voltages to components or this could get expensive. There was no voltage getting to the solenoid, so I replaced the starter switch as the symptoms seemed to point to this as a problem, and resistance checks in the start position seemed to point to it. Besides, I've had problems with an ignition switch before which gave very similar symptoms. a new switch has not cleared the problem. As the car sat for a few months, I'm inclined to believe the problem is probably corrosion or component related. According to the dealers diagrams, there is a starter relay which feeds the solenoid but I am not sure where it;s located. If anyone has a full diagram of the wiring for the starting circuit I would be forever in your debt. Sorry for the verbosity, I am just trying to include all the pertinent information. It has an immobilizer by the way, but there has been one wire from it that has been cut. Thanks guys. ~x(

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login