1.8T cut out, battery light came on!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Bezza
B1
Passat model: B5.5

1.8T cut out, battery light came on!

Post by Bezza »

had a bit of a scare tonight, fortunately at low speed. Driving in my close at about 20 MPH and eased off the throttle, when lost complete power and the battery light came on. Steering went totally dead as the power steering cut out. Braked and car restarted fine. As an aside, for the past few weeks my car has whistled when cold...some people on this forum might remember me lamenting this as I thought the turbo was on the way out. My mechanic is adamant the turbo is ok and it is the alternator making the noise, working harder from cold. Anyway, could my cut out incident and the alternator be connected? I'm baffled, because when I got home I took the car out for a drive around the block and it was fine. I had ragged it up the dual carriageway on the way home, but surely one visit to the red line wouldn't cause a malfunction would it?

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login