Headrest Screen Install... DIY Style! Not 56k friendly :-(

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Paddy2bsure
B3
Passat model: B6 1.9 TDI SE Wa

Headrest Screen Install... DIY Style! Not 56k friendly :-(

Post by Paddy2bsure »

I've had my Passat about 10 days now, so I'm overdue some mods! I got an in-car DVD system for Christmas (shoulda been for the kids, but you know how it is :wink: ) so I thought what better way to get it unpacked than to stick it in the Passat!

I took pictures - and they say a thousand words - so here goes:

One of the monitors. Necvox 6569 6.5in Widescreen jobbies:

Using the supplied mounting spacer as a marking template (marked with a fine permanent marker):

Draw a rough :shock: X in the middle of it after drawing the outline rectangle:

Then cut along the X (the point of no return) with a Stanley knife :?

Then cut the remaining flappy bits of headrest cover back to about 1cm from the edge of the original rectangle:

Then use a Craft knife to cut out the foam packing right down to the headrest base plastic along the lines of the original rectangle:

Insert the supplied screen mounting box, marking the 4 screw holes which will be used to screw the casing to the headrest plastic:

Then drill pilot holes in the headrest plastic, and screw the 4 screws into place:

The connector cable from the monitors went through the lower LHS of the casing, and popped out next to each Left headrest post.

At this stage, the remaining headrest foam material wasn't quite as flattened out as it should have been - it is now :oops:

I would have liked to wire them through the headrest post (they're hollow), so all wires were hidden, but the connectors on the cables were too big :(

Finished headrests - note Protective plastic film is still in place.

Being honest this took me about 30 minutes for the first headrest, and 20 for the second one (shown here).

Step 2 to come this weekend - dash mounted DVD player (where your CD changer would normally go). Wish me luck :D

By the way, I paid £120 for both monitors AND the DVD player - brand new off Ebay back in December. RCA & Video cables, wireless headphones and the "CD Changer" dash surround have cost me about another £120 in total... so £240 overall - not too bad?
2010 (10) BMW 320d Saloon Efficient Dynamics
2012 (12) Mini Countryman Cooper S 2.0D All4
1983 (A) Porsche 944 2.5

Full VCDS using Ross-Tech Micro CAN-USB in Hertfordshire/North London

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login