Gearbox stiff shifting into 1st and reverse at stand still

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Brind
B5.5
Passat model: '52 B5.5 SE AWX

Gearbox stiff shifting into 1st and reverse at stand still

Post by Brind »

I left my car with my dad for two years as I've moved to Canada. It drove fine and I put on some serious miles whilst I had it and kept it well maintained by myself and on the rare occasion a garage I know very well would do work on it I couldn't really do.

It's a 1.9 TDI B5.5 with the 5 speed manual gearbox. The clutch and flywheel have never been changed, neither has the gearbox oil. It's now rocking 222,000 miles. Once on the move, the gearbox is awesome still, clutch feels gradual and extremely smooth, it doesn't bite high and feel likes it's on or off like I've felt in many other cars. Never a grinding of the gears in my ownership.

My dads driving style is musical gear changes, he'll drive up the box labouring the engine far more than I would. He'll also move down the gears when slowing down whereas I always slowed, figured the speed I was going and drop in the gear needed with exact revs to gear ratio as to not labour or high rev the car.

The gearstick with the engine off moves around like butter.

With the engine running, you have to really force it into first and reverse is a nightmare! Almost like you have to wait for the engine to die down to slip it in yet the engine is slowed down and idling where it should.

In gear with the clutch to the floor and switching off the engine results in what feels like a slight pull likes it's not totally disengaged.

I had the engine running at idle tonight and and simply put the gear near reverse (clutch down) without putting it in and I could hear it knock like it wasn't lined up or... I don't know.

Also noticed sometimes when putting it into gear (3rd or 4th) it'll feel like it's hitting teeth with the clutch peddle fully down to the floor.

There's absolutely no clutch slippage and no judder at all from the engine and it pulls like a train.

Any help with this? I fear it'll get worse and something will break.
Mark

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login