Making saloon rear door panels fit Estate rear doors...

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

BIG F@ TW@
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 Highline

Making saloon rear door panels fit Estate rear doors...

Post by BIG F@ TW@ »

Soo I managed to bag a bargain full leather seat and door card set for my 5.5 Estate, only issue being it's from a saloon and not an estate. Now I know the rear seat will require some fettling to fit, not a prob as I know it's been done many times before.

But I didn't know that the profile along the top of the rear door panels is slightly narrower in a saloon:

Estate on right, saloon on left:

So the only solution I had was to remove the top edge from both door panels and swap them over:

Old panel on right, new one on left:

I had to start by removing/cleaning off the tabs highlighted here that are heat glued together:

Then once I'd gone along them all, it was time to swap over and re-attach using a hot glue gun:

Once dried, job was done. The only prob being a slight difference in shade (looks worse in the pics) but with a bit of careful shoe polishing, I should get a nice match, and they are the rears so won't get seen much.

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login