Standard Headlamps hardly give light

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

kaneelschep
B1
Passat model: B5.5 96kw 4M

Standard Headlamps hardly give light

Post by kaneelschep »

Hi all.

I am quite done with the original h7 lamps in the b5.5 not giving any decent lights.
And dont tell me they are shining down, or up, have water in them, or the bulb is old, the unit has yellowed, etc.
No. they pass the lightfield/position test every year. The electric adjustment works. They are dry. They are clear as day. The bulb is the best tested osram 150% nightbreaker new bulb. I also tried the philips top of the line.
Nothing obvious is to blame.
Its just not putting it out on the street through the projector.

Basicly all roads here are unlit 70/90km/h back roads. With black dark tarmac without any stripes. And lots of holes ;)
I can tell you. I dont see ANYTHING on it! Friends of mine drving along, ask me all the time why I dont turn on the lamps. And are shocked this is what I drive with. I got used to it. But something needs to be done.

I read a lot about it. Lots of people complain about the lights in the B5/C5 serie VW and Audi. And i also own a b5.5 audi. And owned a c5 audi. I can confirm they have the same issue.
But I havent seen any proper solution or cause for that matter.
Closest to an answer was the projector gets dirty on the inside and cleaning it would help. Also most say that thats neigh impossible.

So what to do? I see a few options I am willing to try. I just wanna know whats the best solution.
Cause I want LIGHT! ;)

- Get a set of second hand original hella Xenon headlights. And probably 2 new xenon bulbs. And new ballast? Can you even just replace those?
But what about automatic light adjustment and its sensors? Light Cleaning sprayers? Isnt the connector for index different?

- Get a new set of hella or tyc/depo h7/h7 headlamp units.
- Put aftermarket 55w xenon kit in my original lamps.

Thanks a lot!

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login