HELP!! Diesel leak??

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

HELP!! Diesel leak??

Post by alpenweiss2 »

For the past few weeks I have been noticing a diesel smell coming from the engine bay (not inside the car, but when parked up you can smell diesel).

Our car is a 1999 B5 1.9tdi 110 BHP Wagon. Only mod is a Blacksmoke chipped ECU upping the power to about 130BHP

I have had the plastic engine cover off and checked all the leak off pipes which are all good. The incoming banjo connection from the fuel filter seems good and tight, but the leak seems to be coming from the diesel pump. I cleaned it all off and left the plastic cover off then went for a very short drive. When I got back I could smell diesel when I lifted the bonnet. I have taken some photos and marked up. (see link)

I have observed the pump with the engine running and got the other half to rev the engine but it is not clear where it is leaking. No obvious sign of it spraying out or even weeping?

In the first photo I have ringed the area where it could possibly be coming from? Is there a seal under this brass piece?

The second photo is another view of the possible leaking area? The diesel appears to be running down the left hand side of the pump body as you look at the engine from the front of the bay.

In the third photo the arrow shows another area where diesel is accumulating. This just looks like a hollow in the casting of the pump so I don't know how diesel can be getting from the area in photos 1 & 2 to this area as it is higher up?

Any thoughts? Is this an easy fix or a big problem to fix? I should just add the engine fires up instantly and runs really smoothly.

Coincidentally I have a T4 Transporter tdi professional conversion with a 1z engine from a mk3 Golf tdi and this has also developed a very slight leak on the diesel pump fitted to that engine...bummer coz it is slowly dripping from the bottom of the pump body onto the newly fitted alternator below!!

Cheers Paul in deepest rural France!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xL4WEyPWaDpY2GLo9

This topic has 23 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login