Any Mechanics in the House...Citroen

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

stevekoz
B1
Passat model: B5 1.8T Estate

Any Mechanics in the House...Citroen

Post by stevekoz »

Hi All,

Well alas whilst i passed on the passat to a fellow forum owner, we still have a car, the family mpv we like to call "the egg" - our Citroen Xsara Picasso.

The car was bought 2 years ago on a 2001 y reg, via on online auction on fleabay for the princely sum of £1400 with 80k. It had little history but at the time we were desparate and it's proved ultra reliable. In fact it has never broken down in the 2 years we've had it. That said it has its issues. One of which is a tapping noise. Which has been apparent and not really worsened much till recent colder weather has come about. But in 2 years it has always been there.

The car does use a fair amount of oil but i know it has an oil leak from the intake manifold which could account for part if not all of it. However, on driving the car, there is a metallic tapping noise from the engine. It is not apparent on idle, it remains in place when cold or warm (quieter when warm but only slightly) and the noise increases in volume and intensity with the acceleration of the car - so if i speed up the tapping speeds up with it.

If you are looking for an idea of what it sounds like. Go to a desk or table or work surface near you and tap your longest fingernail fairly rapidly - and you are nearly there. I would post a vid but it doesn't really come over well via audio on you tube.

The car is doing approx 27mpg on combined driving but it does seem to go through fuel quite rapidly for a n/a 1.8 16v petrol.

I have recently spent 500 from the sale of the passat in making sure that the cambelt, drop links, water pump, brakes, exhaust etc have all been replaced and given the condition body work wise and the residule value i'm loathed to fork out any more for engine diagnostics at this stage - in all honesty, even if i do find out what it is the likelihood is that it will be the death of the car if it turns out to be that catastrophic. For now, she remains a good reliable runner, starts on the button every time and has never failed us., but if this worsens and starts affecting performance i am more likley to cut my losses. But being the obstinate oh fiddlesticks! i am i would like an idea what may be it could be.

So any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers guys.
B5 Estate 1.8T
To Do List...
Wheels...Done
Lowering...Progressing
Stickers...On the way
Filter....PiperX panel & Airbox mod
Brakes...they stop!i]

Will be built not bought!!

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login