Brake pedal goes hard & Turbo Actuator fault

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

humbucker1960
Passat model: B8

Brake pedal goes hard & Turbo Actuator fault

Post by humbucker1960 »

Hello,
Sorry for the long post.
I have had my Passat B8 2.0L GT Estate for over a year now.
In January the glow plug light came on shortly after starting the car up in the morning and went into limp mode.
I turned the ignition off and re sarted the car and all was ok. It has done this about 3 times and in March it went to the VW main dealer for a service at 88000 miles.
They told me it was the turbo actuator that was faulty at a cost of over £400 to replace, but they also kindly told me it might be the Turbo.
As it only happened a few times and only on startup I declined the repair work.
In April after starting the car and driving nearly a half a mile I put my foot on the brakes and the pedal was solid, I nearly had a heart attack.
This happened about 3 more times, some times straight away after setting off and sometimes a short distance after within a half mile.
I think both faults are related
The brakes always work in the morning for the first few presses of the pedal so I persume there is a vacume held in the system,
its always in the morning and never happened at any other time.
In the morning I now always pump the brake pedal until its hard then start the car, with light pressure on the brake pedal it takes any ware between a second and the longest was 30 seconds before the pedal sinks,
after the pedal has sunk its fine and never gives me a problem for the rest of the day.
Both faults only ocurr in the morning after startup.
I think its a intermittant vacume fault, has anyone any ideas or know of a vacume diagram for this car then I may be able to find the culprit.
One thing that realy has me frustrated is the car can tell me me many things from the fault lights and display on the dashboard but it cant tell me there are no brakes, worrying that is.
Many thanks.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login