Warning re Mobile battery replacement company

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

vince47
Passat model: B8

Warning re Mobile battery replacement company

Post by vince47 »

For the first time in my long life I discovered that I should not change the battery unless I have VCDS/diagnostics to 'register it'.
So in these difficult times I decided to spend £25 for the well known UK High St company (not sure I am allowed to name them) to come to my house and do it for me. The advert clearly stated they would register it with the ECU. Good. I then got confirmation of payment emails from a mobile tyre firm. I emailed them asking them to confirm they will register the new battery with the ECU and they confirmed this by email. Bang on time the chap arrived to change the battery and I asked if he had the diagnostic gear before he started the job. He had no idea what I was talking about and 'I've done loads' he said. He then rang his manager who 'confirmed' they had a 'new way' of registering the battery. Steering wheel 3 turns left then 3 turns right. I said thats for the power steering so he decided to leave it and I got a refund. So there's a lot of B8's out there that don't have the battery registered to the ECU.
That was pretty poor but is now history, What I cant get my mind around is why this car needs a lengthy serial number copied from the battery BEM label so it knows how the charge it appropriately. Isnt the cars charging system clever enough the charge at the correct level? Modern chargers manage it. If it really needs to know its a new battery why not just tick the VCDS box to say 'New'.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login