Start/stop error message - potential battery problem?

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

jmf
Passat model: B8

Start/stop error message - potential battery problem?

Post by jmf »

Hi all

We have a VW Passat B8 Estate, 2.0 TDCI, R-Line - just over 3 years old.

For a few months now the stop-start system has not been cutting in when stopped in traffic, and the start/stop status says "vehicle power consumption too high". This is during normal daytime driving without lights or any other high power consumption accessories on. I initially put this down to not doing enough long journeys during lock-down, but recently some more symptoms have developed.

Firstly, when starting the vehicle from cold, we often get the error message "manoeuvre braking currently unavailable" for a few seconds. I've heard this can be due to a bad battery or other electrical problem.

Secondly, on two occasions in the last week the message "Error: start-stop system" has popped up when starting from cold. Turning the ignition off and on again has cleared the issue.

Finally, starting the car from cold yesterday, the "Error: start-stop system" came up and the vehicle struggled to crank for about 5 seconds before eventually starting. The power to my TomTom also cut out during cranking which it never normally does, and I think the electronic dash may have been flashing on and off too (can't be sure as there was a lot going on and it was all over quite quickly, but I think that's what I saw).

After a long (>6 hour) drive yesterday, I measured the battery voltage in-situ with a digital multi-meter before attempting to start it this morning. It measured 12.12V which seems on the low side? The car started fine and the battery voltage measured 14.7V with the engine running.

Does this sound like a dying battery, and is it normal for a Passat battery to last only 3 years?

Also I'm curious about the type of battery fitted. It's a SEBANG 5TA 915 105B (12V 70Ah 420A DIN 700A EN/SAE/GS) EFB+ battery. All the on-line sites recommend an AGM battery (Bosch or Varta) as a replacement. Is it normal for VW to fit EFB batteries as standard on the Passat, and what would you recommend as a replacement?

Thanks for any help.

John

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login