My Next Choices - Skoda Octavia vs VW Passat

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

sjdean
B1
Passat model: B6

My Next Choices - Skoda Octavia vs VW Passat

Post by sjdean »

So Im choosing now between a 2005 Skoda Octavia, 2.0 FSI Petrol 150bhp with 70k miles for £3.5k. Or a 2009 VW Passat 2.0 TDI 140bhp with 80k for £8k.

I really want the Passat, but it will take four years to pay off. The Skoda would take 2 years.

The Skoda would need a Bolero head unit (RCD510), new CAN Gateway and MDI Interface totalling around £500, I'd probably need 4 new tyres too - I don't run around on rubbish.

The Passat would need the MDI interface.

Im struggling to decide which one to go for. Both cars are split evenly down the middle. I have destroyed my last four petrol engines through over enthusiastic revving. Maybe I should have a stronger diesel?

Taking into account economy, tax, MPG, radio costs, servicing and residuals, over four years, both cars work out even.

The Skoda is now 8 years old which could be at the age where it will start to have problems. The VW is Diesel and we all know about high costs for those parts.

The Skoda would get 27 to 31 mpg around town, the CR if reports are correct between 35 to 39.

I just can't decide.

Paying a car off in two years is a big plus, but at the end of two years, if I want another car in two years time, I need to save money! So it works out even. Im cagey about an older car as that's what I have now, and having to spend money on exhausts, or air con units regularly annoy me. The Skoda looks like a smaller car, so might be more fun to drive. The Passat though is the car I want, but with high price potential failures like DMF, DPF and injectors, it's a bit concerning.

I do 12k a year but people say that's not enough for a diesel. It used to be 10k, and I've seen people say anything between that and 30k! I still think on 12k, I could save between £30 to £50 on fuel.

If my current car is anything to go by, which being a Petrol 1.8, shows to be getting around 35mpg on the motorway vs 29mpg around town, then diesel could be a massive saving.

So....

So far Skoda wins, quicker to pay back, simpler, relative known quantity with MPG
VW would win if I could be fairly sure I wouldn't have lots of expensive repairs and get a good MPG.

With everything so firmly split down the middle, need some advice...

What should I go for?

Thanks
Simon

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login