Something Really Wrong

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

georgeegg
Passat model: 2001 TDI

Something Really Wrong

Post by georgeegg »

Hello

I've got a passat TDI 2001, automatic and it's gone very very strange. Any ideas what it might be?

It's been sitting on the street undriven for about two weeks. I got in it this afternoon and started it. All fine (although quite a lot of condensation inside, which is new). I drove it down the road and there was very little power which felt wrong, then a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, then the lights came on STOP OIL PRESS. And then it stopped of it's own accord.

I waited a while and started it again and got it back to my house (about 30 yards). I let it idle. It sounded alright idling, not too much smoke, but some. When I pressed the accelerator though it was shuddery and either didn't give much power or if it did there was a lot of smoke. A fair amount of water on the floor by the exhaust too.

I turned it off and checked the oil. The whole dipstick was covered in what looks like grey paint. I wiped it off and tried the stick again. Loads of grey sludge all along it. Clearly not normal at all.

I left it. Now it has real trouble starting but when it does start it idles ok, but it shudders or feels like it's about to cut out when I press the accelerator.

I think it's in a terrible way. I expect other forum members will confirm that. Can anyone help me diagnose what's happened?

Thanks

This topic has 23 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login