Blown rear speaker?

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

dvhttn
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 PD130 Sport

Blown rear speaker?

Post by dvhttn »

Back in the summer I had some body work done on the car which involved, partly, of replacing the rear door. All the 'old' door interior bits got swapped over, it was just the outer shell that was replaced. Anyway, a week or so after picking it up I noticed that the speaker in that door wasn't working. Confirmed by playing about with the fader/balance on the radio etc. Just thought that they'd forgotten to plug it back in and I'd take the door card off and fix it sometime. So, 6 months later (!!!! never sit in the back and have normally got a 5 year old next to me so audio quality in the car isn't that relevant at the moment ..... :( ) I decide to do the work. Lo and behold the wiring hadn't been re-connected. Plugged it back in (was just the main speaker unplugged - the tweeter was plugged in) and ....... nothing! Damn!

Played with the fader/balance again but still nowt. So the question is, has the speaker blown? Or could it be something else? All the rest of the electrics in that door work so it's not the wiring. Nowt from the tweeter either - though not sure if that is just because the main speaker doesn't work - don't know the theory behind how they work ....

And what sort of voltage drives the speaker? (Just so's I can check the wiring).

Assuming it is blown I'd need to renew. I'll probably get one from a breakers as I have to visit one soon anyway, but I had heard that the optional speaker upgrade for the Passat was pretty good. Comments?

Oh, Passat 5.5, 2001 Sport PD. With Pioneer headset, not OEM.

Ta

Dave
-----
Dave
Carpe diem ....

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login