Passat B6 Head unit upgrade?

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

UncleBuck
still on the production line
Passat model: B6. 2.0 TDi DSG.

Passat B6 Head unit upgrade?

Post by UncleBuck »

Recently bought 2009 Passat High-line 2.0 TDi DSG. with RCD310 head unit.
Very nice but basic and I can't use phone on it or attach Ipod nano except through the only external input which is a jack plug in the arm rest. No CD changer, No socket in glove box, No MDI interface.
Had a look at the pricing of upgrading and discovered that an MDI at around £180 meant it was cheaper to change the head unit for something with less quality but more features.
Come on, Hi-Fi is for home where it can be concentrated on, but in car it just has to be a reasonable sound without static or other noises.
With this in mind, I'm thinking of getting a JVC KW-XR811 Double DIN USB Bluetooth Head Unit which has two USB's and has steering control and bluetooth mods built in. I can buy this for £170.
One guy at a local audio dealers stated he could fit a JVC double din with bluetooth and Ipod connections plus Steering connections together with relevant harness, fascia etc. for £180. I don't know which model it is yet but at that price it's worth a look.
What do you chaps think. I already know what purists think but as I said, Hi-Fi is for home not car. If I concentrated on music in car as I do at home, I'd crash, no doubt about that.
Anyone tried these units? Any good?

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login