B5 single to double din how to.

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Spacemonkey
B3
Passat model: B5.5 TDI Sport

B5 single to double din how to.

Post by Spacemonkey »

Been doing a single to double din on my B5 so thought i would share what i did.

Got a double din face out of a B5 Passat with the sat nav option but looks like the same you get out of a B5.5

Parts that you will need are the double din face and the plastic "cage" that sits behind and any brackets that may be there (i did not get these and made my own)

After removal of the old single din face plate, switches etc etc you should be looking at a large hole. lol

I cut all the plastic i have highlighted in red and was left with this but keep the areas in blue.

You will need to remove the plastic around the edge this will have to be done really carefully as you will f*ck up the dash if done wrong. I just trimmed small bits at a time and kept trying the face in the hole to make sure all was going well. The pic below shows the small notch that i cut around as you will need to keep this. I forgot to take a pic when i done the lot but you will get a idea what to do when you are doing it.

Face plate trial fitted, you will need to make 2 brackets to fix the top of the face plate to 2 screws you will see at the top inside of the hole.

Next up is the fitting of the "cage" there are 2 screws at the side of the hole that i used for the bracket points (i have marked these with red circles)

The plastic you have left uncut will be used to mount the cages lower screws.

After some (lots)of minor adjustments it should all fit in well. If you have climatronic controls the face plate that goes around it will be too big so i cut some off and it now fits on the bottom (i done this as i am too tight to buy a new one from VW FOR £6) LOL

When you look at the back of it it is clear the bit you need to cut off but here is a pic for reference

When all is done it should look like this.

It should now be ready for a double din unit but I'm going to fit some guages in at a later date.

I would say you will need best part of a day to do the job and the use of a dremmel type tool would be a bonus.

May be some things i have left out so if you need any advice just ask.

Mine still needs a bit work but happy with the job. The marks i have at the side of the dash were made by someone trying to glue the old face plate together. 8-}
B5.5 TDI

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login