fmic to pd tdi b.5.5

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

mini_dub
Car of the Year 2012
Passat model: B5.5 est

fmic to pd tdi b.5.5

Post by mini_dub »

ok troops the time has come to show how i went about fitting the fmic!

this is a guide of how i done it so your car may be differnt and i carnt be held responsible for and damage or injury caused from this mod :esm

ok first jack and place the car on axel stands making sure its very stable

then remove the front bumper (there is a guide done by 88rsr for this)
then you should have a car that look like this
once this is done you need to remove the turbo outlet hose and ic outlet hose. the clips on the turbo side are quite awarkward to get to and see the other end and ones on the std ic (intercooler) are very easy to remove

once these pipes are off you should have ends on the pipes like this (i beleve this is 5.5 only)
on the pipes you need to carfully cut through the metal cover on the outside of the pipe making sure you dont cut through the hose. on the turbo outlet pipe you want to cut the larger end and make sure you remove the correct end on the other hose so basicly you want to be able to clip the hose into the turbo and the inlet pipe as normal
once this is done you should be able to remove the outer and end up with a bit of metal on the inside which just prises out
now you end up with a standard hose which will now acecpt any thing you want to stick in there [-x
the i.d (inside diameter) of the standard hoses are 52mm,

now at this point you should have a new fmic to fit mine didnt have any way of mounting it so i welded 3 tabs on to the ic and bolted it to the bumper iron
you want to try and get the new ic as close to the rads as possible (you see why later on)
my ic had out lets of 2.5" so i got some reducers to make the new pipes standard size so not to reduce the boost pressure too much
next you will need to remove the rad side gaurds which are held on by one self tapper each side then just un clip

now fit the modifyed turbo hose to the turbo and then you will want to fit a 90deg pipe from the turbo hose to the ic! i also have to remove and relocate the horn and chop a small part of the plastic front end to gain some more space
now its on to the other side wich is a tad trickyer getting the OEM ic out is a bit of a PITA but its only held on by some rubber mount so you just need a spot of brute force and it will come out
now you need a 90 out of the new ic and another 90 with a short straight piece to get the hoses back in the engine bay and it should line up with the standard hose which you modded
as you can see i used t-clamps and manged to get 2 of them on each join to try and stop it popping any hoses off

and well there you go you done wasnt so hrd was it :hyst ok iam not going to ly to you its pritty long job and takes alot of putting on and pulling off but you will get there #:-s

now this is why i said to make the ic as close to the rad as poss
yer as you can see i no longer can fit the side grill on the bumper so it needs adjusting a tad also there is no room for fog lights either

right on the performace side the car pulls alot more now under load and think it will come into it own when i have a custom map
{()()]==AIR Car of the month October 2010, March 2012. Car of the year 2012 Image
My Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19734
my mk4 polo: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48182&p=372666#p372666

instagram: @mini_dub

This topic has 106 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login