312mm upgrade (now completed with pics)

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bobman
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.4tsi Touran

312mm upgrade (now completed with pics)

Post by bobman »

as some of yoi know i have been trying to upgrade from 280mm brakes to 312mm brakes.

anyway got the 312mm b5.5 vented 25mm thick discs from GSF, also got the pagid fast road pads and the 312mm caliper carriers from vagparts.

312mm discs

pagid fast road pads

312mm caliper carriers

to start of with i stripped my caliper of

then the carrier and the disc

then fitted the new disc in place with the new caliper carriers

next is where i got stuck and had to take it all back apart and put original back on

reason for this was my original calipers didnt fit the carriers, because my mounting brackets were wider (160mm) compared to the new carriers mounting holes which are 90mm

so as from this point i been tryin to find some new calipers to fit these carriers

anyway spoke to a guy on ed38 (curtosy of vwnutant) and this guy was gunna sell me his calipers for 40quid but the problem was i had to collect em from uxbridge which would have cost a bit in petrol and the best part of the day to go down there, also he got in touch after askin for delivery prices and he said it would be 30quid to deliver em

so yesterday i went round a few scrap yards i knew and looked for any other scrap yards on the way, on the way round i spotted a car my missis had been lookin for (98 micra) and after speakin to the guy about it i also asked him if he knew of any decent scrap yards nearby. he gave me 2 numbers and said he always uses these and they are good places.

i rang the first and asked em if they had any mk4 golfs, that 1 was a no, so i rang the next 1 and he said he had 3 of em so i got address where he was and went to see him.

got there and the place was massive, he nust have had 500 cars he was breakin up. told him wot i wanted and said it was for that (pointin to my car) he said wot is it, is it a mitsubishi. lol. :lol: :lol: . i told him it was a passat and i wanted front calipers for it, he took me to an A4 then he remembered he did have a passat, then he said we have also got the parts from a 51 plate tdi 130 in the back of the b5 passat that was in the back of a artic trailer

and there starin at me was 2 calipers for a 51 plate tdi that are a perfect match for my carriers, also while i was lookin in the front of the b5 i noticed on the drivers seat a radio surround, had a look and it was a carbon surround so i snapped that up aswell

calipers from 51 plate tdi 130, 30 quid each

so now i have a new dilema, pagid pads dont fit these calipers, so of i went to gsf in west brom, told em my problem and he said no problem we can swop the pagids for a set of pagids for these calipers, problem he said we dont do pagids for them calipers, we only do green stuff. so for 6 quid extra i now have a set of green stuff pads for these, also bought some silver caliper paint so i can smarten these calipers up a bit

oh!! here's a pic of radio surround

cost me 15quid for this and will fit this when i can
Last edited by bobman on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Muff Diver

This topic has 64 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login