fitting coilovers (older mcphearson and solid rear axle)

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

cal
B4

fitting coilovers (older mcphearson and solid rear axle)

Post by cal »

okay so you've spent lots of money on your nice new coilovers. you want them fitted, it may seem a really big deal but i promise you it's not! save yourself £100+ of getting a garage to fit them for you.

okay so your first step is to make sure you've got everything.
*2 front coilovers
*2 rear coilovers
*macpearson top mount tools (if need them as i didn't on the mk1)-these are available from gsf for about £7
*2 new front top mounts
*trolley jacks & axle stands
*2 17mm spanners
*2 18mm spanners
*14mm spark plug socket
*7mm allen key
*your vag wheel brace (it's 17mm and is great if you need to get some real power behind a bold)
*1 hammer
*and remember righty tighty lefty loosy

fronts

*jack up the front of your car, take the wheels off and place on axle stands (i coulnd't find mine :? )

*undo the strut bolts (these should be 17mm) the easiest way to do this is put one 17mm spanner on the bolt and your wheel brace on the nut, now apply as much pressure on the wheel brace as you can whith your foot you should hear a almighty crack and the nut will loosen, don't take the bolt out of the strut yet do the other one first (so just repeat on the other bolt)

*loosen your top mount just slightly to relase it from the turret (this is where you need your spark plug socket and 7mm allen key)

*take the bolts out of the strut (you may need to tap them with your hammer)

*undo the top mount entierly

*it's now time for the strut to come out, so first you need gently tap it off the hub and then holding the base wiggle it out of the turret and place on the ground with a smile :) :)

*with your coilover assembled with new top mount reverse the removal process to install (so strut on hub place bolts through and lift hub so you can quickly put on top mount) make sure that the strut bolts are really tight and put some locktight on if you've got any

*repeat for other side and gently lower the car making sure the struts seat properly in the turret and then tighten your top mounts once it's on the gound.

*go have a cup of tea (or a beer) and something to eat

rears

*repeat getting the rear up on stands/jacks

*undo lower strut bolt (in some cases 17mm&17mm or 17mm&19mm) wheel brace come in handy here too ;) now tap it out with your hammer (mine didn't want to com out at all so i had to cut it)

*repeat on the other side but put your trolly jack under the axle to support it as when you take the bolt out it'll drop and if there's nothing to support it, the first thing that'll hit the floor will be your brakes :shock:

*undo the top of the shock in the turret and remove shock, take the mounting harware off the old shock and fit to your coilover

*mount the coilovers in the turrets first

*jack up the rear axle untill it meets the lower part of the coilover and put your bolt back in, repeat on the other side and tighten up the lower bolts (leave the top mount just done up loosly)

*put your wheels on and lower the car back to the floor, tighten the top mount.

now select the hight of the car, once your happy take it down the garage and get 4-wheel alighnment done (costs about £25)

now pimp hard in your dumped VAG motor

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login