Rear Wash Wiper - Removal/repair

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

FordCorsair
still on the production line
Passat model: B8 GT

Rear Wash Wiper - Removal/repair

Post by FordCorsair »

The rear wiper was getting slower and slower. It needed a hand a couple of times to get parked back into it's finished position until it gave up completely mid rear screen.

So, I took it out to have a look...

The rear panel had four screws in it two of which are behind screw caps in the hatch pull down cups. Strong fingers required to prize away the clips securing the plastic panel from the rear hatch.

Here is the back of the panel removed, you can see the panel securing clips.

Here is the motor in place.

Removal of the that was fairly straight forward (socket required 10mm? can't remember) and also take care to prize off the clip holding the washer pipe in place, think I twisted mine to release it's grip.

As you can see, the spindle on mine is cracked and let in loads of water over the years.

Luckily I had some small star (6 sided) shaped screwdrivers that fitted these screws 7 in total.

As can be seen bit rusty, and was siezed up. Lift off the gasket and save for re-assembly.

I was fortunate to have a vice, so clamped the wiper spindle, the knurled bit (with care not to crush any threads), so I could begin to free the mechanisms. Firm but gentle left and right movements a bit at a time. Once moving more freely a fair amount of copper grease applied to keep it 'lubed' up.

Looks a bit unsightly, but when put back together all was working fine. A bit of trial and error was needed to get the wiper in it's final position, as I had not made any refernce to the wiper arm mounting to the spindle.

Hope that helps, it wasn't dificult, that's why I'm posting!! :D

Dom
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.domcoleman.co.uk/domgallery.php#passattdi"
----------------------------------------------------------

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login