EGR ADAPTION ON A B5.5

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

desertstorm
Site Admin
Passat model: B5.5 130 TDI AWX

EGR ADAPTION ON A B5.5

Post by desertstorm »

Found this the other day
http://uk-mkvs.net/forums/p/157421/1060548.aspx
It seems that you can recalibrate the EGR on a PD engine. It works in the UK as we use the EDC15 ECU where as in the US they use the EDC16 in all their Diesel Passats.

I thought I would have a go. I normally run my car with EGR disabled by removing the vacuum from the valve and blocking it. Although in the winter I restore it as the car warms up better but because I have a Bv43 turbo it doesn't pick up as well from lower RPM and having the EGR disabled helps that. This procedure helps as it reduces the EGR activity by about 45%. With full EGR airflow at idle is around 250g/str with no egr it's more like
450g/str. With the largest adaption value of 33638 the airflow is around 335g/str. This makes a difference to my car and the car still warms up quicker as it's getting some nice hot EGR gas.
The highest value I could use on my car was 33638. I tried using an unlicensed version of VAG-COM and although it said it wasn't able to save the value it made the change in the ECU.However I didn't try switching the car on and off again so it may not have stuck.
This process may allow people with later cars 03 and onwards to reduce the EGR without getting an Engine Management Light which they do if you attempt to disable the EGR.
You can alter other things such as the idle speed in this adaption area but I would be careful what you mess with.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11]

Enter 12233 to activate special adaptations,
[Do It!]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter the "channel number" below to select each channel.
Put in the suggested value(s) in "new value".
[Test]
Observe the "test value" field to make sure the adaptation setting is acceptable.
[Save]

Channel 3: EGR
To decrease the EGR rate, increase the number to the highest possible value (typically 33768).
This will prevent/slow down the intake manifold clogging problem and reduce smoke.
Though the MAF at idle is still within specifications (370 mg/h) do not use this adaptation on the road :-)
Again, this EGR setting is for off-road use only !!!

Karl.
Gone but will never be forgotten
207Bhp 347Lb/ft 14.9 seconds 93mph
The build topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56110

The new 382bhp Audi viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70765

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login