VCDS (VAG-COM) Initial Set up

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

little_geoff
B7
Passat model: B5.5

VCDS (VAG-COM) Initial Set up

Post by little_geoff »

If like me, and have just spent hours trying to get your 3rd party (ebay special) vag-com lead to work i thought i'd write a quick how to:

First thing: if you got your any additional software with your lead, ignore it.
Download the latest VCDS-lite from here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html
Ross-Tec no longer supports vag-com 311 or 409.1.

Next, plug in your lead to an available USB port. (I would recommend using the same port each time you use VCDS)
Now let windows do it's thing: It will usually find a driver for it, but if it doesn't they can be downloaded from here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm (listed on the Ross-Tech FAQ page)

So your lead is now installed right...?
Open up VCDS-Lite and on the first use you are only able to click on one button <Options>
See the Select Comm port in top left...it should be on Com 1.
Then Click <Test> Button...... you will get either one of these warning boxes.
Port OK.jpg
What you are looking for is the one on the right (obviously 8-| )
(The Port, is your computer finding your lead. The Interface, is the computer finding your car)
So try using Com 2, Com 3, Com 4.... Once you have the correct warning box you are good to go and plug it into your car \:D/
(but please read note at bottom if you have an older passat, or aftermarket radio)

If you are still getting nothing don't panic. The lead probably isn't a duffer.
Windows has assigned a Com number to your device greater than 4. ~x(
(i my case it has assigned it: COM 5)

To solve this you need to find your lead in Windows devices, usually in the control panel display, but can be found in Device Manager also.
Com Change.jpg
right click and select <properties> select [Hardware] tab. this will show you what Com number yours is (in my case Com5)

Click on the item 'USB Serial Port (Com 5)' and select <properties>

select [Port Settings] TAB at the top and select <Advanced>

This will bring up the final window: At the top there is a drop down menu to assign available com ports.
(in my case Com 3 and 4 are in use) so i went for Com 1.
Now click OK on this window and all the other windows until you get back to control panel.

Now when you re-run VCDS you should get the correct warning box...and you are all good to go and plug it into you car... \:D/

From this point on: your on your own...
BUT if you have an aftermarket stereo fitted it might be worth checking your HARNESS ADAPTER, as ross-tech has identified a potential issue with some adapters, where they put 12 volts into the K-line. (This may also just be a US issue)
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html
If you are unsure, the simpliest solution is just to unplug your stereo/harness adapter from the original VW wires. It won't affect your scan results. (assuming this is the simplest solution, and you havn't put a surround sound cinema in your car) %-(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by little_geoff on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
2004 B5.5 1.9TDi 130 AWX

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login