Painting dash trim on my B6 piano black ;)

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

benno1976a
B5.5
Passat model: 2008 B6 TDI 140

Painting dash trim on my B6 piano black ;)

Post by benno1976a »

So... A few people have said they would like the same Piano Black finish on the dash parts, and even offered to pay me to do it.... but its really not that hard, and anyone with a little patience could do it.... so heres how I done it:

1. Sand back the parts to the black Plastic with 600 Wet n Dry (W/D). Then go over with 800 W/D and then 1200 W/D to remove any harsh scratches

2. Prime with Plastic primer (I used Halfords stuff) 3 coats should be enough (15mins drying between coats) once last coat its touch dry (15 mins) lightly spray a bit of black from about 50cm away (so it looks like the pic below)
this will help to see any defects when you flat off the primer!
Then leave over night or at least 8 hrs!!

3. Flat the primer with 1500 W/D until you can see no black at all (this is important.... cutting corners here will make for a bad finish at the end!!!!!!) should look like pic below
once done clean with soapy water then dry.... then remove any grease, I used the wifes nail varnish remover but panel wipe is fine too :hyst
Then a blow over with the hair dryer to remove any dust!!

4. Now for the Black or any colour really..... I used halfords Matt black (Gloss would do same job... I just had some matt in the shed) 3/4 light coats or until full coverage and then 1 more coat(15 m :D ins between coats)
Try and do it in a dust free enviroment, I did it inside a big cardboard box outside and sprayed water around the area to stop any dust!!
Once finished leave over night or at least 8 hrs. (any minor dust particles is not a disaster as you will be flating again anyway!)

5. Next Flat again with 1500 W/D until it is dulled off all over..... Now is the time to flat out any dust if needed

Next Clean as before

Now.... If at this point your not sure on your painting skills you can opt to get a paint shop to laquer the parts (it should be pretty cheap as youve done the hard work)

If you gonna have a go then.... 1st coat should be just a dusting, then lay on slightly thicker coats (about 5/6 coats with 15 mins between coats) but careful too thick and it will run, its better to leave it looking a little orange peely as it can be sorted after!!
But you need it to be dust free..... If you get any dust you will need to flat it out of the lacquer and add a couple more coats!!
hopefully it should be looking something like this.

Now you need to leave the paint to dry and harden up (at least a day, better 2 days!)
The paint will shrink a bit and no matter how good it looked after laquer went on, it will now have a degree of orange peel look to it!!

Now the hard work..... (you could maybe use a small buffer to do this stage, to save your arms)
I used G3 scatch remover first (for best result use with a wetish polishing cloth):

But if you not getting rid of the Orange peel you may want to flat with some 2000 W/D (very lightly until a uniform dull finish) then use the G3 Sratch remover (use up and down strokes not circular) to buff up the laquer again...
Then remove all residue and clean, once ready it will look like its got light scratches all over....
Now I used G3 paint renovator (Tcut type product).

work at it until you have a blemish free finish (up and down strokes again)
Then buff up and polish and If you want Wax for some protection!!

The result should look a like this
ImageImage
Nothing really that skilled about it.... Just take your time!!
:-bd

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login