Intercooler hose clamps permanent fix

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Intercooler hose clamps permanent fix

Post by ct.p »

You know them, you love them but probably hate them and they are the poorly designed clips for the intercooler / boost hoses, I'm going to call them boost hoses from here on in. I've recently been faced with a bill of £50 for a very short hose with one faulty and worn connector on what is otherwise a perfectly good hose.

So rather than spend £50, I spent less than £5 doing two connections.

What happens is there is a steel "ring piece", yes a "ring piece" on the end of each hose connection with two lugs punched into it. These lugs have a spring clip bear onto it which from the factory secures the hose in position. As the fitting tolerances are quite loose for these things, in use and an in time, due to movement, the punched lugs can wear away giving nothing or a decreased bearing for the spring clip to act upon. Not to mention that this design is not oil and therefor air tight which costs you power and efficiency.

So, one day you will be driving along, hear a very loud pop / bang and loose power. In a diesel there will be a smoke screen and there may or may not be an engine light that comes on.

I'd recently been doing some work on my car where I'd swapped the older 'black' seals for the revised 'green seals'.

After some head scratching and thinking I came up with this fix. It is not strictly a normal DIY job as it does require some welding. But most people know a bloke who knows a bloke who would and could make them some.

What you need;

Two exhaust clamps, one for the hard part of what you are fixing to, measure this. And another clamp for the hose part, this second clamp needs to be 5mm smaller. In my case the 'hard' clamp was 70mm, the hose clamp 65mm.

Two 50mm long M6 bolts, two M6 steel nuts and washers to suit.

Two M8 steel nuts.

These are the bits

Position the clamps in a vice or clamp them so as to get them to align as best you can, set them so there is a 2.5mm gap around the edge from the small to large hoop.

Line up the 50mm bolt (actually a fully threaded set) with an M6 nut on and an M8 nut loose as below. Ignore the other M6 nut it was only on to support and get better alignment.

Weld the nuts to the hoops like so...

I went round and added additional welds. Not pretty I know but this is what you will end up with. On the small hoop two M8 nuts welded to it, the large hoop having two M6 nuts welded to it.

Assemble like this...

Fully built up only to show what they look like

To the car, this is what I was fitting it to

The pictures should be self explanatory but some notes on fitting; don't do everything up really tight otherwise you risk cracking any plastic bits. The 13mm clamps nuts are done up first on the larger hoop on the 'hard' part, then the 10mm bolts are tightened pulling the small hoop onto the edge of the fitting and lastly the 13mm nuts on the smaller hoop are tightened. When I say tightened I mean just a smidge!

The last job was to coat them in wax to stop it all going rusty!
Bog standard B5.5 Highline Estate TDI