rear axle suspension bushes and brackets

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bobman
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.4tsi Touran

rear axle suspension bushes and brackets

Post by bobman »

as some of you know i like to do my own car repairs

on the 27th i renewed my rear suspension bushes and brackets

first of jack the car up and place on sutaible axle stands

remove wheels

remove the rear axle/exhaust cover, there are 4 x 10mm bolts and 1 philips screw holding this in place

remove the dampers, 16mm for the bottom bolts and half inch/13mm for the top damper bolts

once you have both dampers removed the rear axle will be loose, gently lower the axle and the springs will drop out

now 1 side at a time you will need to remove the bolt connecting the bush bracket to the rear axle, (make sure you put your jack under the rear bearing housing so that your axle dont drop on the floor) use 2 21mm spanners or like i did a 21mm socket and a 21mm spanner,
this will be very tight so may need a little force to undo, be carefull not to push the car over lol

once this bolt is removed your axle will now be loose, make sure you leave the jack in place
now to undo the 3 bracket bolts, these will be harder to remove than the axle bolt so be very carefull how you remove em, (i pulled the car of the axle stand doin the passenger side, good job i had my steel spare under the car)
before you remove the bracket draw a line round the old bracket to mark where the old bracket was so you get a rough guide as to where the new 1's should go, to remove these 3 bolts you will need a 18mm spanner
out of the 3 bolts the front bolt on its own is of smaller length than the other 2 bolts so remember this when replacing

old and new

refittin

align the new bracket upto the axle and replace the main axle bolt and tighten till it is still slightly movable on the pivot
now you will have to adjust the rear axle aqnd align up the main body of the bracket with the outline of the old (remember the line you drew round the old) and replace the 3 bolts

tighten to the specific torque then rplace the springs and dampers and the rear axle/exhaust cover

remember you will now have to get you suspension geometry checked now

this is wot my passenger side was like, split the whole way round

the reason i replaced these was for some time my suspension has felt a little bit off and on close inspection it sometimes looked like the drivers side was sitting lower than the passenger side
my original thought was that the the drivers side was gone with that side sitting lower but to my suprise it was the passenger side, reason for it lookin higher was the damper was compensating thus pushing it up with no resistance from the bush

i hope that explains the problem

BoB
RIP Muff Diver

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login