KeithysTDI

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

keithytdi
B2
Passat model: B5.5

KeithysTDI

Post by keithytdi »

Hi all. Ive recently aquired my 1.9TDI after it belonging to my brother for 2 years. He liked to drive it, he liked to throw his painting tackle in the boot, he liked tying ladders to the roof, but he didnt like cleaning it or servicing it. The car came into my ownership as my brother is now out of work (so no longer needs a mobile shed), and I like to think I am giving the car a new lease of life and giving it all the little treats that it has deserved for so long, like bringing a little neglected puppy home from the RSPCA centre and giving it a nice juicy bone.

The car is an 04 plate and it has coverd 92k miles. On the day I collected it the dash was showing "SERVICE NOW" and "EMMISIONS WORKSHOP", warning lights. The service history (all VW), was last stamped at 69K so I booked it straight in at VW Barnsley for a spa day. £630 later I collected my newly serviced car, the warning lights had gone, the buck toothed cambelt had been replaced with a nice set of pearly whites and they even threw in the all important air freshener. Now I felt like I had a clean slate to work on.

After the service had taken a huge chunk of my money the first few mods I have made have been slight mods, i.e. Eye brows, Chrome mirrors and colour coding the bottom of the bumpers. I tried a few close colour matches for the colour coding, one too light and one too dark so I have been to halfords and had an aerosol mixed to match the paint code(£13 a can). I havent got around to applying this coat yet but hopefully it will be going on tomorrow if we get a nice dry day so then I will be able to commemt on the colour match. I will also post some pictures tomorrow to show how the car is coming on.

I intend on giving the car a bit of T-Cut where it needs it and a good polish. I have already removed a few minor scratches (finger nails near door handles) and some oily fingerprints with the T-Cut. I like to use a polish called ICE, its easy to use and the paintwork comes up great, the rain just rolls off the car after a coat of ICE. I cleaned and fed the leather last weekend and just have a few bits of paint to get off the steering wheel and drivers seat. Our kid also gave me a brand new boot protector to fit as the old one is well buggerd. Im quite glad that he had a boot protector in there as I dread to think what a state the boot would have been in without it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I didnt get around to doing all the jobs I wanted to do today as I have been helping my Dad out on his restoration progect (Rover P6), but I did make time to give the car its weekly bath and I also re-sprayed the bottoms of the bumpers. The colour match still aint 100% but it is bareable for the time being. I tried on my new Chrome wing mirrors but I havent fixed them as I am working in a bit of a dodgy area next week and I dont want them pinching so that will be a job for next weekend.
Last edited by keithytdi on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1.9TDI B5.5 Tiptronic Estate
Skirt Kit,
Rear spoiler,
Re-Mapped,
R32 Rims,
K&N Panel Filter,
Chrome Wing Mirrors.

This topic has 28 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login