Newbie Owner of MK2 GL5 Hatchback

The older generation of passats, do you have some tech help for us....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

GL5SEARCHER

Newbie Owner of MK2 GL5 Hatchback

Post by GL5SEARCHER »

Hello all,

Just thought I ought to introduce myself as the proud owner of "The Crooner's" old set of wheels, a 1984 Passat GL5 Hatchback.

You know the car already, so I won't go into loads of details, but it is nice to be back behind the wheel of a 5 pot again after a few years away, and this one runs very well for a car that's almost 25!

Obviously there are a few things I need to sort out, and so I wondered if anyone can help me with the following questions:

Firstly, it will need a couple of rear arches before long, as although the rust is surface, I'd rather get them early before they become MOT risks.

Second is a general question about switches and switchgear. Can you tell me if each switch (Fog light, heated rear window etc) is individually back-lit and fused, as I currently can only see a couple when it gets dark and wondered if I need to get replacements, although the switches do work.

I also need to know if the electric window switches are individually fused, as I currently have 3 working, and one which does not. Where are the wires located for the two rear switches that sit behind the handbrake?

I need the following bits also, a seat belt holder cover for the drivers side, and a handbrake cover as it is currently bare metal, so anyone know of any of these going spare?

Final question for the day, is around brakes, and what sort it requires for the rear, as it sounds like they are grinding, and their stopping power is very poor at present.

Other than that, it's a lovely little motor, and I will be trying to restore as close to mint over the next 6 months, so finders crossed and speak to you all soon.

Ollie

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login