VW Passat B4 EV Conversion

From 16v to vr6- Add all the information in here....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

YLogvin
Passat model: B4

VW Passat B4 EV Conversion

Post by YLogvin »

Hello everyone!
Finally, I've got some good progress to share about my special VW Passat B4 project - I'm converting my trusty workhorse to EV.

I bought this car quite some time ago and quickly fell in love with it. I covered quite some miles with this car and quickly realized that it has a soul.
This isn't my first EV conversion project, some years ago I converted ZAZ-1103 to electric power. The project was fun, learned a lot while making it.
Another EV conversion project that we did quite some time ago was a Ukrainian Niva conversion, which turned out really great.

Challenges
This time, besides transition to electric power, my goal here is to keep all car systems in working condition. Starting from the power steering, power-assisted brakes, air conditioner and so on...

Why Passat B4?
You may ask "Why Passat B4"?
Firstly, everything in this car is really well done. It has a quite advanced configuration for its years. Air conditioner, heated seats, airbags, ABS, it has practically everything you need.
At the same time, this car is quite simple. It doesn't have a central computer, so it'll be relatively easy to make all these systems work.
Of course, there will be some challenges, but nothing too complicated.

Main components
- Battery pack - 2P26S, 200Ah NMC ~20kWh
- An asynchronous motor with the copper rotor
- Curtis 1238 controller 84V 550A
- Flatpack2 charger
- BMS A1109+ A11039G2

Estimated range
I'm planning on doing two stages:
- At the first stage, it's going to be somewhere around 120 km at 20 KWH.
- For the second stage, I'm aiming to get 300 km out of this beauty. But we'll see when we get there, fingers crossed.

Progress summary
For someone who wasn't following along on my YouTube channel, I'll quickly sum-up my progress to date:
- Oct. 9, 2020: Power steering is working
- Oct. 30, 2020: The motor is installed and working
- Nov. 13, 2020: Heater and air conditioner installed
- Apr. 18, 2021: First Test Drive

Plans for the future
So, going forward my plan is to ensure stability and operability of all standard vehicle systems like power steering, power assisted brakes, air conditioning, ABS, etc.
I'll keep you all posted with my progress.

Here's my first test drive video:
P.S. English captions available

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GG-HHPfjI6I[/youtube]

Let me know what you think, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login