suspension joints rattling

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

richard s
B2

suspension joints rattling

Post by richard s »

i have had what i thought was a knackered suspension joint as it was rattling/clicking on speedbumps and pot holes
then yesterday i was driving the car when it felt like i had got a puncture so checked tyres and all fine drove a bit further and car fine then turn right and wheel is kicking back and suspension making a right noise .
so i nurse car home jack it up expecting one of the ball joints to have popped out of an arm to find the cv boot half way up the driveshaft :0 one of the clips for the boot has disappeared somewhere and all the grease is gone and its late saturday afternoon and all the scrappys have shut and none are open on sunday so i hit the bay and find someone breaking a car not too far away so i ring them and they want £60 for a driveshaft :hyst i say i will think about it and thought im not paying £60 for a second hand shaft as i can get a cv a lot cheaper it just means using a days holiday. this morning tightness kicks in and i decide to repack it with grease buy some jubilee clips and see if i can make it through christmass as i cant be bothered fixing the car in this weather. so it costs me £10 for a pot of grease and a couple of jubilee clips and the car is back on the road and the rattle/click is gone
so if your suspension is making noises and sounds like a knackered balljoint check your cv joints aswell it could well be the answer