99T Passat TDi Engine (AFN) Seized... What caused it?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

markyboy
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

99T Passat TDi Engine (AFN) Seized... What caused it?

Post by markyboy »

Hi guys

Was just about to join this forum anyway, but just before I did, my Passat engine seized! I've only had the car a couple of months, bought off a guy who also uses this forum. The car is a 99T Passat Estate 110 TDi with an AFN engine, it has done 129,500 miles, has a full service history, LOADS of receipts for everything and has to all intents and purposes, been very well looked after and wanted for nothing... Hence why I bought it!

So given that these engines usually run well beyond the rest of the car falling apart around it, what do you reckon has caused my engine to seize? We can't see anything wrong with it externally (aside from the fact injector number 3 has been fired clean out of the cylinder head so it now sits a couple of inches proud of the rest of them!), the cambelt (replaced only 7k miles ago by a main dealer) is still intact and tight, basically I'm clueless!

Given the fact that this is a very good condition car otherwise, is it worth finding a good low milage engine (seem to be around 4-500 quid though sadly) and paying to get it fitted (can get that done for about 250-300 quid), or would I be better off breaking the car for parts? It has had some choice upgrades, 17's off a V6 model, HID light conversion, B5.5 Sport interior, powerbox, 312mm front brake upgrade etc. To name a few... What would you do in my situation?

Cheers

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login