B5 1.8t exhaust removal and re-fitting

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

colc
B1
Passat model: b3

B5 1.8t exhaust removal and re-fitting

Post by colc »

Just done this, thought a "how to" post may be of use.
You will struggle without a ramp!
1] Pref 24 hours in advance, give the down pipe bolts a good soaking in Plusgas or similar. Remove drivers side front wheel for better access
2] There's a heat shield just above the d/s drive shaft. This needs to come off. It's 3 torx bolts, and if it's never been off, it'l be a bit of a struggle.
3] Above the rear axle, there's a plastic shield, this also needs to come off. Again, chances are that the bolts will be very rusty.
4] On my system, the middle and back box need to come apart to remove, This wasn't going to happen, so I spent a labourious hour sawing through the connecting pipe by the rear axle.
5] The three bolts holding the down pipe to the turbo are a right sod. you'll probably use every extension and uj joint in a socket set to get them off, and you will need a spanner on the nut end. One's easy, the other two are a right pain.
6] Next, slacken off the mounting at the bottom end of the down pipe. This fitting has a spring in it, don't lose it!
7] I found it easier to unbolt all the exhaust hangers from the car, rather than trying to get the old exhaust off the hangers. The rear exhaust ones were the worst, as they are the most exposed, and are usually pretty rusty,
8] Once all of the hangers are unbolted, and the middle / rear boxes seperated, finish unbolting 6. The sytem will pretty much fall off.
9] On re-assembly, use new downpipe bolts, preferably with nuts with grooves in the base, that way you won't need a spanner on them when tightening. I would recommend using plenty of Copperslip [or similar] on them. make sure the old sealing gasket is still not attached to the down pipe, and use a fresh one.
10] Assemble all loosely. and then tighten up from front to back, tighten the clamps up last'
11] Don't forget to replace the heat shield [2]
12] Have cup of tea and jaffa cake

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login