Brake Pipe Dilemma - please help?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

comedywizard
still on the production line
Passat model: B5 1.8 20v Sport

Brake Pipe Dilemma - please help?

Post by comedywizard »

Hi Guys,

Whilst replacing the brakes on my car recently, I noticed two small splits in the rear brake hose. So naturally I need to replace it and due to the fact the car is now 16 years old I thought it makes sense to replace all
the rubber hoses at the same time, as the others could go at any time.

I have myself a replacement set of hoses (Goodridge) but when trying to fit one I noticed the brake pipe union has seized to the pipe! So didnt want to force it too much in case the end of the brake pipe snaps as I know they are soft and I think I have weakened it a bit as it did twist a few times. so decided to stop and not risk it at the moment.

Basically I want to know if I can get hold of copper brake pipe pre-shaped? Individually or as a car kit?

Alternatively if I do break the pipe then I know I could use a joiner piece and make a length myself, although the route of the pipe looks like it could be quite awkward to get the cutter / flaring tool in place on the car?

Grateful for your advice / comments on this as I'm sure many of you have had this experience?!

Many Thanks
Dave (B5 Saloon 1.8 ADR)

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login