Please help - advice needed

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

damers_2000
B1
Passat model: CC GT TDi

Please help - advice needed

Post by damers_2000 »

I've got a bit of a problem with my car and my local mechanic doesn't have any idea what it is. I've had a diagnostics done and no faults came up apart from two of the internal speakers having intermittant faults.

An error message saying "Alternator Workshop" appears on the dash and the battery warning light is illuminated. It's hit and miss, one day I can drive the car and its fine, the next I can drive it and it does nothing but beep at me and flash up the warning.

The charging system is working as it should be, battery is good, alternator good and all wiring seems to be good.

The only possible problem I can see is that the tensioner seems to be slightly out of line but would this cause the problem? I know that when I accelerate hard it tends to beep and flash the warning at me... The tensioner looks as if the bearing is worn, but my local mechanic feels that this is not the problem.

I'm at a total loss here guys and don't know which way to turn. I'd take it to VW but their charges are very high and may not resolve the problem. If I can find out what it is then I'll take it to VW.

I've attached a picture of what I think is the fault.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login