[RECOVERED] Chipping 1.8T (just page 1 recovered)

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Dithane
B1

[RECOVERED] Chipping 1.8T (just page 1 recovered)

Post by Dithane »

Chipping 1.8t

Page 1 of 2 (couldn't recover page 2)

ukpassats.co.uk Forum Index -> Tuning

RedB5T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:44 pm Post subject: Chipping 1.8t

I have a few questions about chipping my 1.8t

1) reliability- I plan to keep the car for a while and wondered what effect it has on the durability of the engine and/or turbo. I wonder if there are any owners who have had their car chipped for a couple of years

2) the upsolute chip gives 192hp and 199lb/ft - is that too much for the chassis and front wheels because in the rain my standard car is a beast from standstill. thats with goodyear eagle f1s 205/55 r16s.

3) forget the car will i be able to handle it? or am i wuss? will i end up in a ditch or into a lampost.

AndyG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:01 pm

I had my 1.8T upsolute chip fitted back in 1999 so in use for many years now, done around 70,000 miles since the chip fitted with no problems at all.

Car burns no oil at all and fuel comsumption actually improved which is a bonus

The cars chaissis can easily handle 250BHP

Here's a small clip of my car 0-60MPH

http://www.fototime.com/{AA76A185-EDF1- ... icture.WMV

1.8 T Sport, Upsolute chip, VW MFD satnav, heated leather sport seats and 3 spoke sport leather steering wheel,
factory xenon headlights,climatronic

admin
site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:10 pm Post subject: re chip

a few tips from some of the recent chippers

check your maf sensor and also the n75 valve ....these need to be oka

ant

RedB5T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:52 pm

how do i check this. My car thank God, is quite healthy - is it alright to presume that the valve and maf are ok?

Another thing do i need to service that car more often after chipping.

colb666
B5.5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:43 am

On Tdi models it is recomended that if it's on long service set up,oil changes are more frequent and I have heard some guys recomend a different grade of oil?
More frequent oil changes have to be good for any engine I reckon?
I know my Tdi will be having 6000 mile changes instead of the longlife VW set up.

mosconiman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:45 pm

i had mine uposolute chipped by simon coe over 2 years ago.it showed up that my maf had gone so i changed it aswell as fitting a hyperboost valve at the same time.i have had no problems since and still going strong i recently did the coam aswell.

h100vw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:30 pm

Most petrol 20vts would need a new Diverter Valve and possibly a MAF. You wouldn't believe how bad a chipped car runs witha dead MAF.

I did an A4 at the weekend and you wouldn't know it had been done at all. It doesn't show up on VAG-COM usually which is annoying. 75 quid from GSF and 20 mins to fit.

It is possible to check it out using the logging function in VAG-COM. By looking at the airflow numbers.

No reason why the life of the car should be affected. front tyres and brakes might wear a bit quicker though, depending on how you drive.

MPG may improve or worsen again depending on driving style. I am sure any manufacturers remap would improve the car no end.

Gavin

scobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
What would be the symptems of a dodgy MAF?

kingdubber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:49 pm

When mine died the car felt very flat. Almost like the turbo wasnt boosting. Would rev but no real burst. The early 1.8Ts use a different model air flow meter which unfortunatly is about 3 times the price. Mine is about 2 months to old - according to the chassis number- to use the new/cheaper one Sad . Got hold of a secondhand one though, through a breaker. So far so good.

Panel Filter, 18" RS4s, K04 Turbo, 5 Bar FPR, Debadged Grill, FK Highsports

james m

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:25 pm

sorry to sound silly but where is the maf sensor and n75 valve please anyone 98 1.8 turbo

dubbed_up_daz
B5

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 pm

maf sensor i think is inside the airbox and the n7s is between the airbox and the front but lower down,im pretty sure ants got pics of them,ive got pics of inside the airbox when i removed the velocity stack but cant get them on the damned comp Evil or Very Mad

passat b5 estate,18" porkers chop, fk coilovers,jap front insert,stubby aerial,tints,short german plate*swapped*

cupraderv

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:05 pm Post subject: remap

Hi,where is the best place in Fife or edinburgh to get my 20vt passat remapped,is there never a group buy in Scotland ,cheers

RedB5T

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Im getting confused

Whats the difference between the n75 valve and the diverter valve. I know where to get the diverter valve from but I dont have a clue where to get the n75 from. Is it known by another name? How much am i talking about? Which one do i need the most the dv or n75. Id rather have everything sorted before it gets chipped.

admin
site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:47 pm Post subject: re valve

hello the n75 is a vacuum type valve that holds boost

you can get the standard one or uprated n75j from http://www.vag.parts.com

if you mention your from ukpassats you get discount Wink

works out at about £36 instead of £45 ..plus post

colb666
B5.5

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: remap

cupraderv wrote:
Hi,where is the best place in Fife or edinburgh to get my 20vt passat remapped,is there never a group buy in Scotland ,cheers

I used Angel tuning for both my TDI Passat and my 20vt Audi A4.

Both are really good now.They come to you as well.

[END RECOVERED THREAD]
Last edited by Dithane on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login