New suspension..

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

vr6t
still on the production line

New suspension..

Post by vr6t »

Well after much deliboration and the fact that my front drivers side spring was broken I have managed to splash the cash and buy some Eibach springs and shocks for the the 1.8T.....

Its all true the top pinch bolts are a Bas***d, over 4 hours to do both bolts, drivers side had to be drilled out. Nut snapped off so i couldn't use it to draw out the bolt body after I had cut off the head end of the bolt at the inner pinch gap. The passanger side bolt, the bolt head was so rusted the 16mm socket wouldn't fit so i had to hammer on a 15mm one. There is no room to swing a hammer inside the wheel arch so this took a bit of effort to get the socket on. After that i was able to snap it off and extract the bolt body out using the nut a few spacers.

I must say that replacing the springs and dampers after that was quite straight forward, apart from the fun compressing the springs. It is so much easier putting the shorter spring on than taking the the slighty longer sport springs off. I did a 20V ADR normal spring replacement a fews weeks ago for a friend, i could not believe how long it was. I had to use 4 of those draper spring compressor tools to get it small enough to get the top mount on.

The only other pain in the neck is removing the plastic gromits from in side the scuttle panel, when they seam seal the car at the fractory they must go mad with the sealer as all four of mine were stuck solid and i had to trash them to get them out.

So tonight I will hopfully get to rears done and be able to get the car mot'd

Oh i almost forgot I also fitted a set of FK angle eyes as the dip beam plastic adjusters on my standard lights have fallen apart and i had to use bits of wood to jam the rods that were left behind to stop the lights searching for air craft. Shall we say there was no fine adjustment. I was not to impressed by the quality of the new indicators but they were supposidly supplied free so i left the standard one on.
:roll:
Next mod on the cards will be a 312mm disc upgrade to help slow it down as the stage 1 revo upgrade has livened up the old girl..... :wink:

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login