1.8t - strange problem not seen before!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

stevekoz
B1
Passat model: B5 1.8T Estate

1.8t - strange problem not seen before!

Post by stevekoz »

I've just noticed my 99 b5 1.8t passat doing someting quite unusual.

When cold/coming up to temp she runs fine. no issues at all. Free revving and boosts just fine.

However, when its warmed up it seems to start suffering from a rev issue. I don't have vagcom to check the codes so at present all i can do is give you guys the symptoms and see if it rings any bells.

Its 130k completely standard asides airbox mod. Thats it.

When the car is warm if you blip the throttle for any reason or accelerate slowly in traffic say to about 2000rpm the revs then take an awfully long time to settle back to idle and idle seems to have increased from the normal 850/900 ot about 1100-1200. I've also noticed if im sat in traffic if it does idle normally and i can physically see the rev counter creeping ever so slightly higher.

I've cleaned the MAF (its the model inside the airbox) and the valve on top - i can't remember what thats called (somebody remind me its doing my head in!). I've cleaned the TB too recently. Oil seems fine and a nice level. No coolant issues. No smoke on boost or anything.

I'm thinking something to with rev control/throttle control/MAF/plugs maybe? Or could it be a vac leak somewhere. I've noticed teh sound of the DV alot more recently could that be a symptom.

The only other things i've noticed are a slight hestitation/small misfire under load - but plugs need changing out which i plan to do this weekend. Not much else really i can think of to add.

Any one got any ideas?
Any one got Vag Com near me (sutton coldfield) that i could perhaps be cheeky and ask some help with ??

Nice one all
Last edited by stevekoz on Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
B5 Estate 1.8T
To Do List...
Wheels...Done
Lowering...Progressing
Stickers...On the way
Filter....PiperX panel & Airbox mod
Brakes...they stop!i]

Will be built not bought!!

This topic has 48 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login