Alloy solution - Powder coat or Spray

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

smilie121
B5
Passat model: B8 GT DSG 230bhp

Alloy solution - Powder coat or Spray

Post by smilie121 »

I bought a set of alloys off of what I now know to be a willy on ebay and they are nothing like the pictures within the auction. They have excessive bubbling and lots of marks. Also one of the tyres is illegal. Gutted. I paid top end price too trusting the pictures to be accurate of the condition.

Anyways. A local company has offered to remove rubber, acid bath, fill in marks / repair wheels, poweder coat, re-fit the rubber and balance for £160. He said he would put laquer on at the finish but im concerned about the quality from what i've read in the past.

I nitromorsed, sanded and painted alloys some years ago and it was a right pain and took some time. But being a bit of a perfectionist I know if i did the wheels I would do them right. But time is a real issue and only having a spare tyre, i'd have to do one at a time or get 3 spare steels until they are done.

Any suggestions? Is it worth powder coating to do a light sand and do a bit of re-painting / laquer?

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login